| Retrieved from: http://www.journalreview.com/news/article_0a94c57a-bca5-11e0-97f3-001cc4c002e0.html?mode=image&photo=0 |
The first page of William Kist’s book, The Socially
Networked Classroom, revealed to me the stark reality of children nowadays that
is not going to change anytime soon: “Picture afterschool at an elementary
school somewhere in the Midwest. The kids are racing for their book bags and
coats. As they make their way out of the building, a metamorphosis occurs as
they whip out cell phones, Blackberries, iPods, and even laptops. The kids are
getting back in touch with the world after hours of forced disconnect” (Kist,
2010, 1).
This is so true! Even as my daughters enter through the
front door of our home, the same thing occurs. I often jokingly complain to my
daughters that they need to “come back to the real world!” I guess in essence,
that is the real world to them. To me, when they prefer to text their friends,
as one who did not grow up with texting, I view it as an impersonal way of
communicating as compared to talking on the phone. Kist goes on to comment,
“one could make the argument that never before have we been more connected”
(Kist, 2010, p.1) I read this again on page 4. Yes, I agree that “kids are more
connected to other people on a second-by-second basis than they have been at
any other time in our history” (Kist, 2010, p.4) but I think there are many
forms of language/communication that are being left out. For instance, the
non-verbal communication, coverbal communication, Kinesics (Helmer & Eddy,
2012), these are all part of our verbal communication that are being missed
when students are communicating via text. I know I prefer my daughters to talk
on the phone, but they almost seem uncomfortable to do so! Facetime is at least
a bit better as far as I am concerned because at least they can see each
other’s faces, and hear tones in their voices.
Honestly, I don’t think I am against technology. I think it
has its benefits – if used properly. Taking a look at society nowadays, the use
of technology is necessary to function. So in order to prepare students for
this society, Kist made a good point that I think all educators need to take
heed: “We need to transform the way we do school because the digitalization of
information and automation of jobs has transformed the way we socialize and
work…What’s basic has changed” (Kist, 2010, ix). For some, however, including
myself at times, this change can be difficult. For teachers that have taught
the same way for years, it is tough to change. I think Kist has hit the nail on
the head when he describes the use, or non-use of technology in schools. The
increase of “scripted, standardized
curricula and assessments inside of school” (Kist, 2010, 5) and the
“uncertainty and limited familiarity with the possibilities (Kist, 2010, 6) are
contributing factors. Personally, if I don’t know how to use a piece of
technology, for example, a Smartboard, and it is going to take a lot of time to
learn it, then I will most likely stick what I am comfortable with. However, I
like the approach by Kist to profile
teachers who are “teaching new media lessons within the context of standardized
curricula and assessments”(Kist, 2010, 7) demonstrating that even well seasoned
teachers can accommodate the newer styles of teaching and learning. I am hoping
that by taking these courses, I will be more comfortable with newer
–technological - ways of teaching and learning.
Reading through many of the posts this week, a recurring
theme was online safety. A think this is
a main goal of many of us who would be considered digital immigrants: we are
“attempting to figure out ways to keep (their) students safe while at the same
time provide them with the experiences they will need to become fully
functional literate citizens in this century” (Kist, 2010, 7). Speaking from
personal experience on behalf of my daughter and her friends, who thought they
were being safe, they learned a hard lesson about safety. The warnings became
real, and now some are extra cautious, while others are more fearful. This can
be a real set-back, and discourage educators from wanting to pursue anything
that would bring that harsh part of the technological world into the classroom.
I like Kist’s statement at the end of his Foreword, which could sum up many
thoughts on this matter: “We hesitate to go forward, and yet, once there, we
would not go backward” (Kist, 2010, x).
A great post full of important points to consider, well supported with evidence from the readings. I was wondering if you were going to include your thoughts and responses regarding gaming and "classrooms as big as the world" from the discussion board, to your blog post here.
ReplyDeleteI've read both places, and understand your points and in many ways, agree that safety and purpose must guide us at all times when transitioning to these new tools and new pedagogies. Teaching our students (and children) when it is appropriate and when it is not, is a very valuable life lesson. Trying to move past our nostalgia for the way things were, is also difficult to transtion as it is familiar, known, understood, safe, and accounted for, and with much of these new tools and technology, the unknown factors can be so daunting or intimdating. I think by informing your self and exploring these tools, demonstrating and role-modelling safe usage and informed implementation, we can help this next generation transition in a balanced, safe and productive way.
I definitely agree with your point about the need for face to face, and voice contact to get facial and body cues and tone, in order to best understand and communicate. I am hopefull that texting will give way to video-chatting in the next few years, a much more natural and capable communication medium! So much better than the original telegraph with morse code!
Thanks for a great post.