Learning about flickr...
This week’s Blog is very much a point form, note taking
format as I jumped back and forth between experimenting with flickr, and
writing for my blog. My apologies if it seems very disjointed!!
I have only uploaded photos to Facebook before, so I am not
completely new to uploading, but Flickr is new for me. I was a little hesitant
to sign up for ANOTHER account (yahoo) as it seems there is an account and
password for everything!!
So once I was signed in, adding photos was relatively easy,
and I think I figured out how to put captions under them. I am surprised,
however, how long it takes to upload only 5 photos. I did have to chuckle at
the little message on the screen, “Hold on there, tiger” as I was waiting for
the pictures to upload.
Okay, I think my first attempt was a fail, as it is taking
WAY too long I think.
So I tried dragging photos from a different file, and this
time uploaded only 2 photos to see if it would work. Voila!
I have to admit, going through all the Privacy &
Permissions Settings, and Personal Information settings is overwhelming to me.
I have a hard time figuring out what it all means, and am usually uncertain if
I have set my privacy settings the way I would like them to be.
I am wondering if every time, before I upload photos, if I
have to modify my “owner settings” or if it is taken care of in my other
Privacy and Permission settings?
Okay, so uploading 2 photos was almost instant. So now I am
trying to upload 8, and it just isn’t working again. Maybe there is something I
am missing. I have had enough for tonight!!…
So back at it today. I read that we had to provide a link to
our flickr, so decided to delete the photos that I didn’t want to be public. I
still haven’t quite figured out how to upload multiple photos at a time. I
tried one at a time, but there must be a quicker way.
I think I may have figured out how to create a set, and add
photos to the set. I like this because it is a way to organize photos into a particular
theme.
I found that by following along in the text by Berger and
Trexler (2010) was helpful. I usually like to just play around and try to
figure things out for myself through trial and error, but it was nice to have
some simple instructions on how to get things started.
Reading on in the text, I also liked that I could create
different groups. I decided to create a private group that I could invite only
family and friends to view the photos. I guess I didn’t have to delete the
photos from earlier! Oh well! I thought I would try a “Highlights of 2013”
group, so I will see how that goes throughout this year!
When it comes to using flickr in schools, I appreciate that
there can be privacy settings. I was concerned about the photos becoming
public, and anyone having access to them. It looks like there are a few
different group settings, so that would be helpful for deciding how to organize
who will see the photos/video and who can’t.
While reading through the Richardson text, I was amazed at
the description of how to incorporate flickr with Google Maps and Google Earth
(Richardson, 2010, p.106). This is something that I found very interesting, and
would like to learn more about! Students could post pictures of various places,
and be able to view other photos that have been taken near that place. I do
wonder, however, what the privacy settings would be for that? Being able to add
these photos to their own Blogs is another component that students could learn,
and would also be helpful for checking/learning about citations and credits.
Another great idea in the Richardson text is the “photo
field trip” (Richardson, 2010, p.108). There are so many fascinating photos of
different places in the world that students could do research pertaining to the
photos of the places they find, and it makes it more personal and meaningful
for them. Many great ideas, but I do realize that learning all the facets of
privacy can be a bit overwhelming for me, as I discovered early on while
learning about flickr.
Well, the Berger and Trexler text says that I can embed my
photos from flickr right in my blog, so I will give that a try! If it doesn't work, my username is nsauer.
Loved the "story" aspect of this post, where you documented your first impressions, struggles, insights and successes!
ReplyDeleteFlick can seem daunting at times, especially with all the settings, different ways to organize stuff, and many, many different features. Once you get comfortable with it, they usually switch things up on you too!
Don't worry too much though, as all these skills, tools and strategies are actually quite similiar across the web, with most websites, and tools following similiar patterns. So, once you have flikr figured out a bit, the next photo-sharing site you explore will have many of the same types of features and settings.
So, all of these experiences struggling through things the first time do add up to some deep wisdom one day, and you'll feel confident in knowing whats going on, and what you need to do.
I'm also glad you are finding the textbooks so useful, they do keep the end-reader in mind well, guiding us through certain steps and explaining things well as they go!
For future blog posts, it would be great if you could try adding in more multi-media, like some of your beautiful pictures of flowers and amazing cakes that you've made. The visual imagery, small videos, and other media that you embed in your blog posts really allow your blog posts to become so much more accessible. I'm here to help if you need it!
Great example of your learning process in this blog post! Thanks for sharing it.
Aaron
I too struggle with the time it takes to do many of these processes. I've started using an old desktop we have at school just for up- and downloading. The computer is in a private spot so I don't have to worry about anyone touching it, and then I set it to go and walk away. Later, when I get a minute, I check the progress. Ocassionally it has crashed, but I at least didn't waste my time. I try again and walk away again. I know not everyone has a spare computer hanging around......but if you did....
ReplyDeleteSheesh. I had to prove again that I'm not a robot. That's tough for someone who's both nearsighted and farsighted, which means of course that I can see neither near nor far.
ReplyDelete