This chapter by Richardson, though explaining podcasts, is
helping me to understand RSS feed a little better (p.113). This automatic
updates that a person can subscribe to is quite amazing. I am thinking that is
similar to what we have set up for our class blogs in google reader (??)
Richardson describes the access of podcasts through itunes
(p.114). I decided to take a look through my itunes account. I was quite
surprised at the vast amount available! I searched through the “More Education
– K-12” and found podcasts of a young girl reading story books. All of these
podcasts were free. I could certainly see the educational implications for
these – especially if a student had the actual book in their hands. The people
who created the podcast even made sure there was a “jingle” to turn the page. Browsing through the many different podcasts made me realize some of the different uses for them. I think it would be a great idea to have some of the older students in the school create podcasts of themselves reading some picture books for the younger students in the school!
Okay, so I downloaded Audacity, had it working, and recorded
a quick “hello”. I thought I would try plugging in a mic, and it didn’t work,
so I unplugged it. Now I can’t record any sound, so I don’t know what happened.
Grrr…I don’t have time to troubleshoot like this when I have no idea how to
troubleshoot!! Will come back to this later….
Okay, so I googled how to turn my microphone sound back on,
and I think I found it. Nope…didn’t work in Audacity.
So I decided to move on to a Screencast. I haven’t done this
yet, but I think this can be a useful tool, especially for teaching things on
the internet, or for computer use. Many upper elementary students may not be as
technologically savvy as others, and having this interactive way to learn
things incorporates visual, auditory, and kinesthetic learning!
Just waiting for Jing to install…
Back to Audacity. It took me a bit, but I finally figured
out how to get the mic turned back on for my laptop. After twisting my
daughter’s arm a bit, she agreed to play one of her short fiddle tunes on her
violin for by podcast assignment. It was really cool how I could quickly delete
the shuffling sounds at the beginning, and some extra background noise at the
end of the recording with a simple highlight and delete. Now to figure out how
to get it to my blog. I am hoping the Richardson text will guide me through
that part too!
Well, not too much luck so far. I was able to record in
Audacity, convert to MP3 using Switch Sound File Converter, but now I don’t
know how to embed it into my Blog. Time to enlist the help of Aaron. Going to
take a break from this for now.
Heard from Aaron, so created yet ANOTHER account with
SoundCloud so that I could upload the MP3 and share onto my Blog. Going to give
it a try to see if it works…
https://soundcloud.com/nsauer/violinpodcast1
or... (not sure which one to use)
or... (not sure which one to use)
If it works, you will be able to hear my daughter playing a short fiddle song on her violin!
If not...I will have to wait for Aaron to help troubleshoot!
If not...I will have to wait for Aaron to help troubleshoot!
Ah...there it is! I had to switch to HTML when editing my post, and then paste the link at the end.
Hope it works this time. If so, thanks Aaron!
Almost got it embedded! You see the HTML Code where you copied and pasted it into your blog post? Well, the last step, where you "Paste" the embed HTML Code, you need to switch your blog editor to "HTML" mode, and then you can see behind the formatting, and paste your embed code at the end.
ReplyDeleteI have a little screenr video on how to embed HTML on your blogspot here:
http://www.screenr.com/qgn7
Email me if you have any issues!
Aaron
Hi Niki,
ReplyDeleteFirst, your daughter is awesome! How many years has she been playing? Pretty talented kid.
I, like you, am a visual and tactile learner. On some road trips, my husband and I have brought along an audio book, which he always seems to enjoy. I, on the other hand, find my mind wandering and all of a sudden I'll come back to the present and found I've missed an entire 15 minutes of the book. Having said that, I do enjoy listening to talk radio, so I'm going to try downloading some CBC podcasts and take it from there.
Lesley
Great blog post Niki! Your personalized style, from introducing the way you enjoy reading books to challenging yourself to try something new, is always refreshing. You document your struggles well, but also celebrate your successes! This little podcast you did with your daighter sounded great and was an excellent demonstration of your new production skills and embedded tools! Great work!
ReplyDeleteI, like you, am a visual learner, but I think that podcasting can be made extra useful for non-auditory learners if students have a text to follow along with...especially if it is a podcast exert from a novel or something like that.
ReplyDelete