I was disappointed to miss the google hangout this week for our course...some great discussion regarding twitter. I had to laugh at myself as I was watching the replay of the hangout...a few times I caught myself almost talking to join the conversation! Such a great aspect of this course - I wish more of my courses did this. I will kinda miss the great discussions, and the people I have met - but at least I can follow them on twitter!!
Speaking of following on twitter, I now have a new followers on my twitter account, and I have no idea who they are. I am guessing this is just part of the twitter world ??? | "Heavy Traffic!" |
So I just went in to create a list for the news tweets that I follow, and I noticed that I can make the list private - so that's good to know! I added 3 of the members I am following to my "News" list - so much better for organization!
I like the idea of creating a list for local educators. Once I am in a school, I think this would be great for me to find other teachers that are on twitter, and then I can post quick tweets/links to interesting things that I find. It can be a QUICK and easy way to communicate to the staff...emphasis in the quick!
I tried to search for a few local educators from Kamloops that are using twitter. I did find Tracy Poelzer, our district Tech Coordinator, so she is one I chose to follow. I also checked to see who was following her (as suggested in the hangout) and I now can see the significance of updating my profile. As I was looking to see who was following Tracy, I was looking at the profiles to see if there was anyone to follow. I did find some other TL's, so that was neat. I can see how one click leads to another click, and then another... and another...
So I updated my profile...I just have to remember to update it in a few weeks when I have my diploma!!
I discovered that at only 5 tweets, I really don't tweet often! (I did up it by 1 as I was typing up this blog!) Maybe once I am finished my courses I will have more time to tweet, and hopefully once I am in a school, build into it some information for teachers at my school.
I created a few more lists, and tried to organize them a bit. I think the lists will be hugely beneficial once I have more people that I follow. I created one list for suggestions from this course, and recently added Chris Hadfield. Wow!! Over 500, 000 followers! Crazy! ...but he doesn't have any lists. I guess with only 45 followers, it's not too bad...yet...
Okay...I can see that time can get away on me when I am browsing around on twitter! Time to go!


Hi Niki, Yes we missed you Tuesday! I agree those first few followers that you don't know feel weird, but my friend says they were probably computer generated based on a word or hashtag we used in a tweet. Have you tried the direct message DM feature yet? I sent you a DM to try it out. thanks for the reminder about the list title being public, so no heavy tweeters list! I could spend hours on the Hadfield photos(former Geography major)
ReplyDeleteGreat post on some of the basics of using twitter. Excellent advice on the list usage and I am so glad to see your profile page with a picture and a description! You've jumped in head first and yes, you will get followers that cause you to pause and think, "why are they following me?" sometimes its automated, like you describe, sometimes its the other person following you, with the hopes that you will follow them back. There is no obligation to follow someone back if they follow you. SO, check out their description, look at their twitter feed, and see if they are sharing stuff that is interesting to you!
ReplyDeleteKeep following people and accounts that provide you with valuable information and resources. Look to see who they follow to find more! Keep playing, exploring and sharing!
Aaron