Although these are bookmarks I created in Diigo last semester, my goal was just to see if I could transfer it into my blog as a cloud...I'm not sure if it worked... okay...it looks like it is at the bottom of this blog post. Hmmm...
Delicious or Diigo? Last semester, in one of my courses, we were given the option
to pick one or the other, and I chose Diigo (the home page was more
eye-catching to me). I started using it, then I found I was constantly signing
in to bookmark, and the highlighting feature wasn’t working. So, I just
continued to bookmark like I normally do, but I am finding I need some organization
to them! It’s getting crazy!! Something Richardson pointed out in our text this week made sense to me:
“Obviously, if we are to be expected to participate in the construction of ‘folksonomies’
to save the information that we find, it will require us to redefine the
process we currently use in relative isolation. Our personal organizational
systems for content may need revision to fit with a more communal model”
(Richardson, 2010, p.91). This is so true. I think part of the reason I
abandoned Diigo was that it was something different than what I had always been
doing. But what I am finding now, is that what I have always been doing is
becoming not all that effective, nor efficient. I also wonder if I can access
my bookmarks (my personal ones) from a different computer. Something I will
have to check!

Trying to figure out how to add a screenshot from my diigo:
Hope it works
Trying to figure out how to add a screenshot from my diigo:
Hope it works
Ah…Richardson compares Diigo and Delicious! Perfect!
Diigo: I did like the highlighting and stickynote features in Diigo – I just wish I
could get them to work consistently! I also like that I can decide if it is private or public.
I do like Richardson’s reasoning for public though – to be able to connect with
others who have bookmarked similar sites (p.92). Being able to create groups is another nice
feature – I could see incorporating that with teacher colleagues at the school.
Delicious: Richardson didn’t have too much to say regarding Delicious,
so at this point, I may stick with Diigo and try to figure it out some more.
Got a little sidetracked with the information regarding LibraryThing.com and
Shelfari.com. Found myself looking at books....reading reviews...having a little fun! Okay....I have work to do!! I think I like Shelfari.com better – I just like the name of it!
![]() |
| Clouds outside Niki's window |
I had heard of Clouds before, but didn't realize what they were. I also didn't realize the significance of the size of text- now it makes sense!
I can certainly see the usefulness of social tagging within the school. In the library, the Librarian can organize useful sites into categories that pertain to subject areas that teachers can access. For students, the social bookmarking skill can help to narrow down searches so that they are not endlessly searching through google -and they develop their evaluation skills as they analyze the findings within the bookmarks (Berger & Trexler, 2010, p.53). I just need to become more proficient in using them myself!

Great post Niki! Your reflection on "how I am used to doing things" and how that may not continue working as a successful curation strategy was very insightful. I think a good strategy is that whenever we pick up something new, we have to stop doing something old. So, bookmarking on your own, older laptop is not something sustainable in the long run, and does not allow you to access your bookmarks from anywhere, nor really do anything with your bookmarks!
ReplyDeleteWith delicious and diigo, you're able to do some much more, from finding educators who are bookmarking the same things, to following our textbook's author's page, to see uptodate links and resources related to the texbook, to creating visually appealing Word Clouds that easily identify our main interests! (love that your 'big' words are Databases and Librarydocs!)
Overall, a good blog post with useful screenshots, honest reflection, and great highlights!
Aaron